Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Fiji update - Just blessed!

Have you ever experienced a time when you set out to be a blessing to someone and ended up being blessed out of your socks yourself? Well, that pretty much sums up my experience of my recent trip to Fiji. I blogged a couple of weeks ago about how my dream of teaching art to underprivileged kids was coming true. It is hard to put into words how my time there has opened my eyes to so many things. Not only is Fiji a beautiful country, the people there are just as beautiful! So happy, though they don't have much. So relaxed and content. The children we taught art to were so receptive and eager to learn, well behaved and respectful. My heart just melted when I saw their big smiles after completing a painting and hearing " this is a happy day in my life".
At the Christian camp we stayed at, I got to know the Fijian staff well, sharing many laughs and special moments, and needless to say, many tears on our departure. They showed us around Suva (the capital) and took us on a fabulous mountain walk to a waterfall only the locals know about. What a priviledge! And the depth of their faith is admirable. They trust in God with an unwaivering faith, knowing that He will provide.
The Fijian people have so much for us to learn. To live simple lives, day by day and not worry about the future but just enjoy today. Even the stray dogs were laid back. One dog used to follow us down to the beach everyday and wade around in the shallows looking for fish! Every day, after our hot day of teaching, we would relax with a swim which was bliss!
Below is a quick snapshot of my time there. For more photos, especially scenery shots that you know I can never resist, come over to my Flikr page

 Learning some drawing skills.

Combined effort in poster making.

Their singing was out of this world!

Some focused teenage students

But they were never short of a laugh!

Concentration

Proud of their work!

We were treated to some dancing on our last day.

And presented with a lei.

Next week I'll post some of my scenery and food market shots.

30 comments:

  1. What an amazing trip and amazing photos. I can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so amazing that we are blessed when we give - even more than we bless those we give to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really loved reading this. How can they be so happy with so little?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love and happy-ness excudes from your writing and pictures..so glad you got to do this....♥
    Monika

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karma! A trip of a lifetime for sure. Absolutely love your photos. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a great trip. I am sure you brought a ton of happiness to those children and their families.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You certainly can see God in those smiles! What wonderful pictures Joclyn, this will be a trip that stays in your memory forever...bless you for what you opened up for them as they blessed you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how God works...He repays a hundred fold. So glad you had this opportunity to share your love and talents, to bless and be blessed in return. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a blessing to be able to see and minister to the community during your visit. I can see they ministered to you and your husband as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful opportunity to show the love of Christ!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been looking forward to hearing about your trip and can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are great photos... The kids look like they're really having a great time. Looking forward to more pics of your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a blessing for you and them. I loved your photos (on flicker I post as country connection)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so blessed to have had that experience!

    ♥♥♥
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so glad you were so touched by your experience there - experiences like this only make you want more just like it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! God blesses us in the most unexpected ways sometimes! Glad to hear you had a great trip!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing this lovely story. it is in giving to others that we receive many gifts! Those kids are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a blessing to be able to share a little bit of your trip to Fiji and the beautiful lessons you learned from them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow! I would love to go there! I'm going to check out your Flickr album now)

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a special time! I'm sure that these are memories that you won't forget, and neither will the people that you touched.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great post. You are an amazing lady.

    ReplyDelete
  22. WOW! What an amazing experience filled with blessings and insight. I love what you conveyed about the simplicity of life, and the strength in the Fijian's trust, in God to provide. Thank-you for sharing this with us all!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This sounds like an amazing experience. We have so much to be grateful for and yet we tend to forget how blessed we are sometimes. Thank you so much for sharing. I am your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a blessing ...looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great pictures! I'm glad you had such a wonder time and touched the lives of all those people.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for sharing your trip with us -- You were so blessed to be able to do art with these children. Looking forward to hearing and seeing more.

    ReplyDelete